Most Active Stories
- City of Murray Eliminates City Administrator Position
- Workers Recovering after Explosion at Moonshine Distillery
- Kentucky Revenues Up Amid Greater Demands in Next Budget
- First Student To Graduate In May From College To Career Experience Program
- Kentucky Man Benefits From Pump Treatment for Parkinson's Disease
Mon December 3, 2012
Book Donation Helps Thousands of Children
More than 15,000 books have arrived in Owensboro thanks to a donation made by Scholastic Incorporated to the Marine Corps League's Toys for Tots program. Daviess County program coordinator Matt Fitzgerald says the gift from the children's book publisher was both "a great blessing" and "a logistical nightmare." The books are for children from newborn to 12 years old, which is the Toys for Tots target age group.
Fitzgerald says the donation will allow the program to double the 8,000 children served last year. He says some of the books will be given to other agencies like the Salvation Army so they can work together to distribute books to children in need.