Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Thu December 10, 2009
Board Issues First Smoking Ban Citation
By Angela Hatton
Madisonville, KY – The Hopkins County Board of Health has voted to issue its first smoking ban citation. The county-wide smoking ban has been in effect since February 3. Smoking is only allowed in areas that prohibit individuals under 18. Health Department spokesperson Lisa Miller tells the Madisonville Messenger the Cat's Den restaurant in Nortonville has repeatedly violated that ordinance. Miller sent restaurant owners reminders about the ban, but they haven't responded. Health board members plan to seek legal advice on wording before they send the citation. First violations carry a fifty dollar fine.