Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Sixth-Grader's Science Fair Finding Shocks Ecologists
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
- MSU Professor Gives Context to Central American Refugee Crisis
Thu July 2, 2009
Board Chooses Four Commissioner Finalists
By Stu Johnson
Frankfort, KY – A new education commissioner for Kentucky could be named as early as next week. The State Board of Education in closed session today whittled down their list of candidates to four finalists. Chair Joe Brothers says the board is confident it can find its new commissioner from the chosen pool.
"The attractive thing of these applicants have been that they have the breadth of experience that addresses all of our criteria for the commissioner and they have that breadth of experience not only in many cases at the district level, but at state level and national level."
Brothers says the winning candidate will not sign a contract until July 17th. The new commissioner will replace Jon Draud, who resigned in February for health reasons.