Most Active Stories
- Murray Residents Voice Comments on Updates to the Human Rights Ordinance
- MSU's Board Changes Tobacco Policy, Passes Salary Increase and Learns of Org. Structural Change
- Murray Composer on Writing "A Winter's Dawn" - Performance This Saturday
- Geologists Record Widespread Activity On Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone
- [VIDEO] Big Atomic Plays Sounds Good Live Lunch
Wed July 31, 2013
Board Approves Churchill Grandstand Expansion
Churchill Downs is planning to add nearly 2,400 seats and a VIP hospitality lounge as part of a $14.5 million project at the home of the Kentucky Derby. The Grandstand Terrace project was approved this week by the board of the racetrack's parent company. Churchill officials said yesterday the new venue will be ready in time for the Derby and the Kentucky Oaks next May.
The Grandstand Terrace will add second- and third-floor seating and will expand and update betting windows, concessions and restrooms. The hospitality lounge area for VIP guests will be called the Rooftop Garden. The company has spent more than $150 million on renovations and improvements at the historic Louisville track since late 2001 but nothing major in the area being targeted during that time.