Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri December 6, 2013
Big Rivers Rate Meeting Cancelled
A meeting scheduled next Tuesday in Henderson to take comment and provide information on a western Kentucky utility's proposed rate increases has been canceled due to expected severe weather.
The state Public Service Commission said staff is trying to reschedule the session regarding Big Rivers Electric Corp.'s proposal. Comments can also be submitted to the PSC in writing.
Big Rivers wants to increase rates early next year to boost annual revenue by $70 million. The increase is to partially offset the loss of about $175 million in annual revenue that will occur when the Century Aluminum smelter in Sebree ceases to be a Big Rivers customer at the end of January.
The rate increase is estimated to increase monthly residential bills by about $25 to $30 per month.