Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri October 31, 2008
Beshear on Women's Ag
By Angela Hatton
Lexington, KY – First Lady Jane Beshear says Kentucky's agricultural tradition offers good opportunities for both men and women. The first lady was in Lexington yesterday for the annual Women in Agriculture Conference.
I'm a great believer that anything that the men can do, so can the women. I can drive a tractor just like any man can. And I think many women are out there doing things like, for example, the farmer's markets. That's a great opportunity for both men and women.
Beshear says many women now manage much of Kentucky's agricultural industry. She says the current economic conditions mean everyone including female farmers, must be more innovative. Beshear predicts Kentuckians will grow interested in locally grown foods as fuel prices push transportation costs up.