Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- Datebook: May 10 - Anna Jarvis Leads First Mother's Day 105 Years Ago
Fri October 31, 2008
Beshear on Women's Ag
By Angela Hatton
Lexington, KY – First Lady Jane Beshear says Kentucky's agricultural tradition offers good opportunities for both men and women. The first lady was in Lexington yesterday for the annual Women in Agriculture Conference.
I'm a great believer that anything that the men can do, so can the women. I can drive a tractor just like any man can. And I think many women are out there doing things like, for example, the farmer's markets. That's a great opportunity for both men and women.
Beshear says many women now manage much of Kentucky's agricultural industry. She says the current economic conditions mean everyone including female farmers, must be more innovative. Beshear predicts Kentuckians will grow interested in locally grown foods as fuel prices push transportation costs up.