Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Fri October 31, 2008
Beshear on Women's Ag
By Angela Hatton
Lexington, KY – First Lady Jane Beshear says Kentucky's agricultural tradition offers good opportunities for both men and women. The first lady was in Lexington yesterday for the annual Women in Agriculture Conference.
I'm a great believer that anything that the men can do, so can the women. I can drive a tractor just like any man can. And I think many women are out there doing things like, for example, the farmer's markets. That's a great opportunity for both men and women.
Beshear says many women now manage much of Kentucky's agricultural industry. She says the current economic conditions mean everyone including female farmers, must be more innovative. Beshear predicts Kentuckians will grow interested in locally grown foods as fuel prices push transportation costs up.