Government
4:17 pm
Mon April 14, 2014

Beshear Vetoes KCTCS Funding Restrictions

Credit kctcs.edu

  Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear has used a line-item veto on the state’s budget bill in order to secure funding for capital projects at 16 campuses in the Kentucky Community and Technical College System.

The governor’s veto eliminates prohibitive language related to funding for projects at KCTCS colleges in Madisonville, Hopkinsville and Paducah. Beshear’s plan allows these colleges to use agency bonds for the first time ever to fund 75 percent of the cost of the capital projects. The colleges will fund the other 25 percent themselves.

West Kentucky Community and Technical College in Paducah will benefit from $7.5 million in agency bonds to renovate a 25,000-square-foot facility to complete the Paducah School of Art. The facility will house classroom, studio, office and gallery space. Academic courses as well as master workshops will be conducted in drawing, painting, digital photography and graphic design.

Hopkinsville Community and Technical College will benefit from $11.25 million in agency bonds to support construction of an Agriculture, Health and Career Technology Center. 

Madisonville Community College will benefit from $15 million in agency bonds to construct a 68,000-square-foot Postsecondary Education Center on its main campus. The center will provide classroom space for use by Murray State University and Madisonville Community College.