Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue December 16, 2008
Beshear Touts Philanthropy Commission
By Tony McVeigh
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear says the current economic climate requires innovative solutions to public funding priorities. Therefore, he's creating the Kentucky Commission on Philanthropy, to find ways to meld public and private resources for state needs.
"But let me be clear. This is not the private sector supporting Frankfort. These are local organizations and people who will be investing in local programs that support local communities."
Beshear says the philanthropic sector in Kentucky, including nearly 850-foundations, collectively gives away more than 120-million dollars a year. Initially, his 29-member commission - two of whom are from Paducah- will seek ways to leverage private funds to assist the state in areas like early childhood and child health. The group will hold its first Summit on Philanthropy next June.