Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Tue June 11, 2013
Beshear Tells Obama KY Wants To Explore Hemp
Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has told President Barack Obama Kentucky wants to explore industrial hemp production. Beshear sent a letter to the White House last week, asking that the Office of Drug Control Policy, U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. attorney general's office work with the Drug Enforcement Administration to identify economic opportunities that wouldn't negatively impact drug eradication efforts.
Kentucky lawmakers passed a bill earlier this year that lays the groundwork for hemp farming if the Drug Enforcement Administration were to lift restrictions on the crop. Proponents contend that hemp could be an important crop for farmers in Kentucky, where the plant thrived before being outlawed by the federal government.