Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Davies,'Board Relationships Key to Presidency'
Tue June 11, 2013
Beshear Tells Obama KY Wants To Explore Hemp
Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has told President Barack Obama Kentucky wants to explore industrial hemp production. Beshear sent a letter to the White House last week, asking that the Office of Drug Control Policy, U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. attorney general's office work with the Drug Enforcement Administration to identify economic opportunities that wouldn't negatively impact drug eradication efforts.
Kentucky lawmakers passed a bill earlier this year that lays the groundwork for hemp farming if the Drug Enforcement Administration were to lift restrictions on the crop. Proponents contend that hemp could be an important crop for farmers in Kentucky, where the plant thrived before being outlawed by the federal government.