Most Active Stories
- UPDATE: Both Lanes of I-24 Reopened, Oregon Man Charged with 'Use of Weapon of Mass Destruction'
- Calloway County High School Students Request a Gay-Straight Alliance
- UPDATE: Officials Release Identity of Murray Man Found Deceased in Home
- [Update: Verizon All Clear] Widespread AT&T, Verizon Outages Reported in Ky. and Tenn.
- Monroe Co. Judge-Executive Among Republicans Supporting Democrat Jack Conway
Wed October 5, 2011
Beshear Stands Alone for Abortion Rights
By Drew Adams
Murray, KY – Kentucky's incumbent Democratic Governor Steve Beshear has taken a stand on abortion differing from his two challengers in the upcoming general election. Beshear says women should have the right to terminate pregnancies. The Associated Press quizzed each of the candidates in the three-way race for governor about their feelings on abortion. Republican David Williams says he strongly opposes it. Independent Gatewood Galbraith says he considers it, in his words, the taking of innocent human life. The hot-button issue has traditionally been an important one in the Commonwealth where politicians often compete for endorsements from anti-abortion groups, particularly Kentucky Right to Life. Williams beat out Galbraith to win that endorsement. Beshear wasn't a contender for that endorsement because of his position on the issue.