Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Mon July 27, 2009
Beshear Seeks to Unseat Leeper
By Todd Hatton
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear says he's trying to recruit Democrats who support casino gambling to run for state Senate seats next year, including the 2nd District seat of Paducah independent Bob Leeper. The Paducah Sun reports Beshear has spoken with Paducah attorney Glenn Denton about running, however Beshear did not disclose details of the conversation or say who else might be interested in running. Denton did not comment on his plans or his position on expanding gambling.
1st Congressional District Republican chairman Russ Randall says he'll discourage any Republicans from challenging Leeper. He says Leeper has a conservative voting record that matches GOP views.
Leeper says he's not surprised that Beshear is trying to recruit a candidate to run against him. He says he's prepared for the challenge.