Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Fri January 20, 2012
Beshear on Redistricting
By Gary Pitts/Associated Press
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear has announced his reluctant intention to sign the redistricting legislation House Bill 1. Beshear says while redistricting is always a partisan process, this bill "reflects a personal vindictiveness that should have no place" in the process. He says signing the bill is in the best interest of those intending to file to run for office since the deadline to file is January 31st. Beshear says this situation shows the need for a non-partisan citizen-based redistricting group. Meanwhile, State Representative Tim Moore says he intends to file such legislation today establishing a 12-member independent commission, appointed by the legislature.