Most Active Stories
- Poll Shows Major Support for Medical Marijuana in Kentucky
- Boating Accident on Kentucky Lake Kills Fisherman
- MSU's Dunn Selected to be Youngstown State's Next President
- Recurring Trials for an Iranian Family – A Microcosm of the Persecution of the Baha’is in Iran
- TVA Eyes Closing Power Units at Shawnee Fossil Plant, Other Coal Facilities
Wed March 20, 2013
Beshear Gives Extended Power to Child Welfare Panel
Governor Steve Beshear signed a bill giving broader investigative powers to a state panel that reviews serious cases of child abuse and neglect in the Commonwealth.
The governor created the panel last year by executive order, however the law he signed today (Wednesday) gives panel members deeper access to case files involving children who have suffered serious injuries or died. Additionally the law allows panel members to discuss certain cases in private to protect victims' identities. The 20 member panel began reviewing cases earlier this year.