Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Thu September 24, 2009
Beshear Asks Senators to Act
By Angela Hatton
Frankfort, KY – Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear is asking the state's U-S Senators to support an extension to unemployment benefits. The Commonwealth has an 11.1 percent unemployment rate. A bill recently passed in the U-S House of Representatives would provide an additional 13 weeks of unemployment benefits to those who qualify. In the past year, 123-thousand Kentuckians have claimed emergency unemployment compensation.