Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue March 10, 2009
Beshear Applies for Individual Assistance
By Tony McVeigh
Murray, Ky – Governor Steve Beshear is seeking individual assistance for Kentuckians whose homes and property were severely damaged by this winter's devastating ice storm. Beshear says he filed the request with the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA.
"It is a very high threshold that we have to meet in order to get that and it's not granted very often. So, I don't know what the chances are, but we felt like we owe it to the people of this state to go after every bit of assistance that might be available to us. So, we're going to file every bit of the information and hope that we can qualify."
Beshear says the ice storm, which first struck the commonwealth on January 27th, destroyed at least 30 homes. Another 26 homes suffered serious damage. The storm was blamed for 36 fatalities.