Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue July 22, 2014
Ben Watt On World Cafe
World Cafe's guest today is Ben Watt from Everything But The Girl, the band he led with his partner (now wife) Tracey Thorn in the '80s and '90s. He has a new solo album called Hendra, which he recorded with Suede guitarist Bernard Butler.
Watt has had a fascinating career; he turned to underground DJing as Everything But The Girl disbanded, prompting him to eventually form his own house-music label. He's recently tabled pursuits and turned to writing instead. Watt's new book, Romany and Tom, is about his parents and the life he discovered they'd led. His first book, 1996's Patient, was written as he recovered from the rare Churg-Strauss Syndrome, which landed him in the hospital for two and a half months.
In this World Cafe session, Watt touches on these topics and performs songs from Hendra.