Most Active Stories
- McCracken County School District Tests for Talent
- Abramson Pushes for Tax Reform & Clarifies Future Which Doesn't Include Murray State Presidency
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Waldrop Announces Retirement From McCracken County Schools
- Carson Myre Series: Clark Elementary Choir Holiday Presentation
Tue November 20, 2012
Beer sales see rapid growth in Murray
Package sales of beer are skyrocketing in Murray, according to one of the region's largest distributors. Golden Eagle Distributing transports all Anheuser-Busch Products in the Purchase area. The company is already having to extend its sales routes to almost triple the amount of locations. Company president Mark Meisenheimer says the company has never seen this large an increase in sales and expects business will only keep growing.
“The first week and a half, two weeks were very hectic," Meisenheimer said. "One day we had to go to Murray three times because we had others opening up. But we are getting a better handle on it and the retailers and their stores are getting a better handle and getting the right products in there and the right quantities. So it’s evening out a bit.”
Meisenheimer says he expects to see another jump in sales this spring as liquor stores open and tavern licenses are issued. Murray residents voted in July to allow package alcohol sales in addition to liquor by the drink sales.
“We’ve just been delivering the last couple of weeks," he says. "I think the first week we just had three stores open and we had about 1,700 of sales that week. It is quite a big difference. We are spending a lot of time in Murray.”