Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Mon March 25, 2013
Barkley Airport Officials Hopeful Tower Closure Is Only Temporary
In spite of the imminent closure of Barkley Regional Airport’s tower, officials there remain hopeful that the shutdown is a temporary setback. The Federal Aviation Administration has slated Barkley’s tower, along with one hundred and twenty three others around the country, for closure April 7th.
The FAA had delayed releasing a final list to allow affected airports to appeal the agency’s decision. Airport manager Richard Roof says their eleven-page appeal made what he calls a concise, complete, and solid argument to keep Barkley’s tower open. In anticipation of closure, airport staff has been working to ensure operations there continue as smoothly and safely as possible. Regional carrier SkyWest says they will work with Barkley Airport to ensure uninterrupted service. Barkley officials say they are working to assure everyone that passenger safety won’t be compromised.