Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Fri May 10, 2013
Barkely Tower to Stay Open Through September
Barkley Regional Airport tower is staying open through September instead of closing June 15.
The Federal Aviation Administration announcement affects 149 small airports and comes after President Barack Obama signed the Reducing Delays Act May 1. The bill originally allowed the FAA to divert $253 million from other funding sources to end furloughs and keep the towers open. But keeping towers open became optional when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid objected to the provision.
Barkley Airport Manager Richard Roof says he is optimistic that support for the towers will carry over into the 2014 budget and will cease to be an issue.