Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Thu January 14, 2010
Bad Lieutenant : Port of Call New Orleans at Maiden Alley Cinema
By Todd Hatton
Paducah, KY – Don't call Werner Herzog's first feature film in three years a sequel. The only thing "Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans" has in common with Harvey Keitel's 1992 film of the same name is just that, the name. In this 2009 film, Nicholas Cage plays a hero cop who falls into drugs, corruption, and madness. Larry Thomas and Todd Hatton talk about this "Bad Lieutenant" playing this week at Maiden Alley Cinema in Paducah.
In Werner Herzog's new film BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS, Nicolas Cage plays a rogue detective who is as devoted to his job as he is at scoring drugs while playing fast and loose with the law. He wields his badge as often as he wields his gun in order to get his way. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina he becomes a high-functioning addict who is a deeply intuitive, fearless detective reigning over the beautiful ruins of New Orleans with authority and abandon. Complicating his tumultuous life is the prostitute he loves (played by Eva Mendes). Together they descend into their own world marked by desire, compulsion, and conscience. The result is a singular masterpiece of filmmaking: equally sad and manically humorous. Also Starring Val Kilmer (The Doors, Heat), Fairuza Balk (The Craft, American History X), Brad Douriff (Child's Play, X-Files) & Michael Shannon (Bug, Shotgun Stories)
Get showtimes and ticket information at Maiden Alley Cinema's web site, here.