Most Active Stories
- Forest Service at LBL Cancels Controversial Pisgah Bay Project As Proposed
- Murray Police Respond to WATCH Center; 1 Man Dead from Believed Self-Inflicted Gun Shot
- Kentucky Legislators Grill Cabinet Officials for Not Disclosing Fraud-Comitting WIC Vendors
- Rand Paul Is Skipping Fancy Farm and Why That Matters
- UK Officials Propose $16 Million Dollar Expansion at Princeton Research Center
Fri June 14, 2013
Average KY Smoker Spends Thousands On Cigarettes
Kentucky's health commissioner says the typical smoker in Kentucky spent $2,237 to buy 468 packs of cigarettes last year. Dr. Stephanie Mayfield told lawmakers yesterday nearly 962,000 Kentucky smokers over age 18 last year who purchased 450 million packs of cigarettes. Mayfield, speaking to the Program Review and Investigations Committee, said 28.4% of Kentucky adults smoked last year. She says 24.4% of pregnant women smoked as did 24.1%of minors.
Despite Kentucky's best efforts to discourage youth smoking, Mayfield said some 6,100 minors begin smoking each year. Meanwhile, she said, about 7,800 deaths per year are attributed to smoking.