Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 at 7 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- Former Murray High Assistant Coach Pleads Guilty to Rape Cases
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
Wed July 24, 2013
Audio Profile: Governor's Scholars Class
Murray State, Bellarmine College, and Morehead State campuses host the 2013 class of Governor's Scholars, a summer residential program for outstanding rising seniors in Kentucky high schools. The office of the Governor, the Kentucky State Legislature, and private enterprise provide financial support so students attend at no charge. The program has grown from about two hundred students at one location in 1983 to over a thousand at three locations this year. The program's core curriculum includes a focus area, or major, general studies, and seminars. Dr. Bella Ezumah of the Murray State Department of Journalism and Mass Communications brought her 18 student class to WKMS and we created this audio portrait together.
Dr. Bella Ezumah's class with the Governor's Scholar's Program at Murray State visited WKMS to learn more about public radio and created this audio portrait . Friday is the scholars' final day on campus. This year there are over a thousand Kentucky rising seniors in GSP in groups at Murray State, Morehead State, and Bellarmine College campuses. The program's mission is to enhance Kentucky's next generation of civic and economic leaders.