Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Hester Hall Fire
Tue April 10, 2012
Attorney Seeks Confidential Pre-Trial Hearing Ahead of Dorm Fire Trial
The Commonwealth Attorney prosecuting the man accused of starting a Murray State dorm fire 14 years ago wants some of the pre-trial proceedings held behind closed doors.
Jerry Wayne Walker faces charges related to the 1998 fire in Hester Hall that killed fellow student Michael Minger.
Commonwealth Attorney Mark Blankenship says he’s made his request to prevent contaminating the jury pool with evidence that may not be presented at trial. Calloway and Marshall Counties Chief Circuit Court Judge Dennis Foust says this move isn't entirely uncommon and he says jury selection processes are designed to weed out influenced jurors, "Hopefully we can sort those things out before trial through the voir dire examination," said Foust.
Attorney Blankenship says he’s worried media reports could result in a venue change. Both Blankenship and Foust say venue changes are expensive for taxpayers and inconvenient for trial participants. The next hearing in the case is set for May 4th.