Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- UPDATED: No Foul Play Suspect in Murray Woman's Death
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Murray Community Members Discuss How to Rebuild Downtown at Town Hall Meeting
- MSU President Talks Tobacco Ban, University Marketing Shifts
Tue February 23, 2010
Archbishop Tutu Offers Message of Forgiveness
By Chad Lampe
Murray, KY – Murray State's Regional Special events center was home to a large crowd last night for MSU's 2010 Presidential Lecturer, Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Tutu spoke of his work ending apartheid, and ways in which each person can promote peace. The nobelaureat, in a press conference prior to his lecture, had a singular message he hoped those in attendance would take from the event.
"There is no future without forgiveness. You will never get the kind of thing you are hoping for with the barrel of a gun. You won't get security. It's not going to happen in the Middle East. It's going to happen the day they sit down and they talk. And you say, Now why did you take so long to find out something so obvious.' I frequently say I'm so glad I'm not God. God must look on and say, Can somebody please tell me what ever got into me to create that lot, I mean just look at them.'"
Archbishop Desmond Tutu was Murray State's 2010 Presidential Lecturer.