Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Wed May 2, 2012
ALEC to be Examined by Attorney General Office
The advocacy group Common Cause is asking federal agencies to remove the non-profit tax-exempt status of the American Legislative Exchange Council. The ALEC provides lawmakers with sample legislation and talking points, often to promote conservative issues, and Common Cause says the organization is a lobbying group. Kentucky's ALEC co-chair, Senator Tom Buford, says Common Cause could be considered a Democratic group, and isn’t worried about the organization being examined by the Attorney General’s office. He doesn't think ALEC's non-profit status is at risk--either nationally or at the state level--because the IRS vets exemptions fairly rigorously.