Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Baptists Take Credit for Failure of Medical Marijuana Bills
- Murray State Renews Steve Prohm's Contract Through 2020
- Former Murray High Assistant Coach Pleads Guilty to Rape Cases
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- Battle of the Bands 2015: Congratulations BIG ATOMIC!
Wed May 2, 2012
ALEC to be Examined by Attorney General Office
The advocacy group Common Cause is asking federal agencies to remove the non-profit tax-exempt status of the American Legislative Exchange Council. The ALEC provides lawmakers with sample legislation and talking points, often to promote conservative issues, and Common Cause says the organization is a lobbying group. Kentucky's ALEC co-chair, Senator Tom Buford, says Common Cause could be considered a Democratic group, and isn’t worried about the organization being examined by the Attorney General’s office. He doesn't think ALEC's non-profit status is at risk--either nationally or at the state level--because the IRS vets exemptions fairly rigorously.