Most Active Stories
- Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes is Running For Re-Election
- Kentucky School Districts Brace for $8M in State Cuts
- Prairie State CEO to PPS: "We Are Focused on Eliminating Everything that has Brought us Offline"
- State Rep Kenny Imes Announces Bid for Kentucky Treasurer
- Army Study Analyzes Cutting 16,000 Personnel from Fort Campbell
Wed December 9, 2009
Airports Important for Economic Development
By Angela Hatton
Mayfield, KY – Purchase Area Development District officials focused on air transportation at a meeting today in Mayfield. Barkley Regional Airport Manager Richard Roof and a representative from the Kentucky Department of Aviation talked about the importance of air travel to economic development. Roof says Barkley's new service to Chicago will makes the region more attractive to international companies.
"If you're looking at what this has in benefits to the region, on February 11, we will be one connection away from Tokyo, Munich, Paris, London, Beijing, Hong Kong, one connection."
Roof hopes Economic Development officials in the Purchase region will begin emphasizing the area's accessibility when courting international business. Chicago's O'Hare airport is the second largest hub in the United States with close to 400 destinations.