Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Tue September 17, 2013
AFL-CIO Pushes For Waiver For Illinois Plants
The AFL-CIO wants Illinois' pollution control board to waive pollution controls at coal-fired plants being sold by Ameren Corporation. The labor coalition is making its position known hours before the Board meets in Springfield today.
The AFL-CIO says that move by the board would provide certainty to employers and communities in central and southern Illinois. But environmental groups say pollution upgrades are needed. Houston-based Dynegy wants to buy the plants from Ameren, which has a waiver that allowed it to delay installing soot-control equipment at five plants. The board is expected to make a decision by November.