Most Active Stories
- Battle of the Bands Finals @ MAC March 26 - Be in the LIVE Audience!
- Record-Breaking College Bass Fishing Tournament Held at Kentucky Lake
- School Districts Revise Calendars to Account for Snow Days
- Murray State Equine Science Professor Pairs Student Interests with Real-World Research
- Identifying the Warning Signs of Autism in Young Children
Tue September 17, 2013
AFL-CIO Pushes For Waiver For Illinois Plants
The AFL-CIO wants Illinois' pollution control board to waive pollution controls at coal-fired plants being sold by Ameren Corporation. The labor coalition is making its position known hours before the Board meets in Springfield today.
The AFL-CIO says that move by the board would provide certainty to employers and communities in central and southern Illinois. But environmental groups say pollution upgrades are needed. Houston-based Dynegy wants to buy the plants from Ameren, which has a waiver that allowed it to delay installing soot-control equipment at five plants. The board is expected to make a decision by November.