Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Tue September 17, 2013
AFL-CIO Pushes For Waiver For Illinois Plants
The AFL-CIO wants Illinois' pollution control board to waive pollution controls at coal-fired plants being sold by Ameren Corporation. The labor coalition is making its position known hours before the Board meets in Springfield today.
The AFL-CIO says that move by the board would provide certainty to employers and communities in central and southern Illinois. But environmental groups say pollution upgrades are needed. Houston-based Dynegy wants to buy the plants from Ameren, which has a waiver that allowed it to delay installing soot-control equipment at five plants. The board is expected to make a decision by November.