Most Active Stories
- US 641 South Widening Receives Top Priority on Purchase Area Projects List
- UPDATE: Murray State's Provost Is Stepping Down to Be 'On Loan' to CPE
- Kentucky Primary Election Live Blog: James Comer to Seek a Recanvass
- James Comer’s Quest To ‘Pass A Bold Agenda’ Gets Bumpy
- How Could Kentucky Farmers Use Drones?
Mon February 24, 2014
Affrilachian Poet Presents 'Redefining the Region' at McCracken Co. Library
Kentucky Poet Laureate Frank X Walker calls Bianca Spriggs the "new standard bearer for the Affrilachian Poets," the group he founded. Spriggs is a multidisciplinary artist who lives and works in Lexington, KY where she is a doctoral student at the University of Kentucky. She presents "Redefining the Region: Pushing Poetry Through Cultural Space" this Thursday (February 27) at 7 PM in Paducah for the McCracken County Public Library's "Evenings Upstairs" series. Kate speaks with Spriggs on Sounds Good.
Bianca Spriggs reads some of her favorite personal poems to Kate that are very descriptive and specific of women and herself.
"I'd already spent 10 years sort of writing and then I had a book come out and I was still kind of scrambling with a job that I wasn't 100% in love with, and i had a few very important conversations--one with my mentor, Patricia Smith,...and with Nikky Finney, another mentor, about three months apart and they both said the same thing."