Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- Hemp Oil Not a Source of CBD Which Could Be Used in Epilepsy Treatments
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
Fri July 20, 2012
Additional Purchase Counties Named Exceptional Drought Areas
Four more counties in the Jackson Purchase have been given the ‘exceptional drought’ status by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Caldwell, Lyon, Crittenden, and Livingston Counties have been added to the existing list of drought plagued areas of the Commonwealth. The classification was issued by the National Drought Mitigation center, and represents its highest level of warning. Areas of Eastern Missouri, Northwestern Tennessee, Southern Illinois and the Jackson Purchase all have areas of extreme drought.