Most Active Stories
- Owensboro Airport Expanding
- Kentucky Lawmakers Attack Climate Change Science In Discussion on Carbon Regulations
- Paducah’s Mail Processing Facility Set to Close, Could Lead to Longer Delivery Times
- Lawmakers Skewer EPA, Obama Over Coal Regulations
- Conway: Americans for Prosperity Plan to 'Buy' Ky. House
Roads & Highways
Tue December 18, 2012
AAA Expects Busy Season
About 39,000 motorists in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and western Pennsylvania are expected to call AAA East Central for help while traveling during the Christmas and New Year's holidays.
AAA East Central projects it will replace more than 6,500 dead car batteries, change nearly 6,000 flat tires, retrieve nearly 4,800 sets of keys locked inside vehicles and extricate 2,000 vehicles stuck in snow or mud.
But some vehicle problems can't be fixed at the roadside. AAA expects nearly 16,000 motorists will have to have their vehicles towed.
Steve Popovich with AAA's Automotive Services says many breakdowns can be avoided with a little preventive maintenance.
Preventive measures include checking the antifreeze, tire pressures, the battery and belts and hoses before starting a trip.