Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Global Laser Enrichment Could Bring New Laser-Based Technology to Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Site
Roads & Highways
Tue December 18, 2012
AAA Expects Busy Season
About 39,000 motorists in West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and western Pennsylvania are expected to call AAA East Central for help while traveling during the Christmas and New Year's holidays.
AAA East Central projects it will replace more than 6,500 dead car batteries, change nearly 6,000 flat tires, retrieve nearly 4,800 sets of keys locked inside vehicles and extricate 2,000 vehicles stuck in snow or mud.
But some vehicle problems can't be fixed at the roadside. AAA expects nearly 16,000 motorists will have to have their vehicles towed.
Steve Popovich with AAA's Automotive Services says many breakdowns can be avoided with a little preventive maintenance.
Preventive measures include checking the antifreeze, tire pressures, the battery and belts and hoses before starting a trip.