Most Active Stories
- [Slideshow: Afternoon Photos Added] Early Morning Fire on Murray Court Square
- Murray Downtown Fire: Gutted Buildings Likely to be Razed
- Sixth-Grader's Science Project Catches Ecologists' Attention
- DOE Awards Fluor $420M Contract for Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant Decommission and Decontamination
- Murray Downtown Disasters: How the City’s Handling Collapsing, Burned Buildings
Wed July 25, 2012
41K of Copper, Other Metal Stolen from Hopkins Tech Center
The Hopkins County Sheriff’s Department is looking for suspects after $41,000 in copper and other metal was stolen from the county’s new career and technology center. Detective Will Coursey says the Hopkins County School District reported the items missing last week.
Coursey says the metal was taken between March and June. Construction on the center was halted last December because construction workers found cracks in the foundation. School district spokesperson Lori Harrison says security measures have included cameras, a locked gate, and increased police patrols in the area. Harrison says district officials are looking into insurance contracts to see if they may be able to recover the cost of the metal.