Most Active Stories
- Winter Weather: Clarksville, TN Reports .4 of Ice and Numerous Power Outages
- Winter Storm Closings and Cancellations
- Paducah Natives Premiere Tonight with acoUstiKats on NBC's "The Sing-Off"
- Local Road and Power Resources For Winter Weather
- Christian County Officials To Develop Contingency Plan in Event of DoDEA Cuts
Tue September 4, 2012
29 Kentucky School Districts Plan to Apply for Race to the Top funds
Twenty-nine Kentucky school districts plan to apply for a new round of Race to the Top grants. Those include three in western Kentucky: Christian County Schools, Paducah Independent Schools and Henderson County Schools. The U. S. Department of Education will dole out $400 million to districts for local-level improvements. Depending on size, winning districts may receive anywhere from $5 million to $40 million each.
The DOE wants recipients to use the money to personalize student learning. Nearly 900 districts across the nation have filed their intent to apply, but being on the list doesn’t mean the districts have to submit an application. The deadline for applications is October 30. The federal government will announce grant winners in December.