Most Active Stories
- Marshall County Judge-Executive Mike Miller Dies; Funeral Arrangements Set
- [Update] Holidays Sound Good on WKMS!
- Public-Private Project to Bring "I-Way" Statewide by 2017
- Murray Officials Seek Public Feedback on Future of Downtown Projects
- Eggners Ferry Bridge - Tuesday Night (Dec 23) Closure Cancelled
Tue September 4, 2012
29 Kentucky School Districts Plan to Apply for Race to the Top funds
Twenty-nine Kentucky school districts plan to apply for a new round of Race to the Top grants. Those include three in western Kentucky: Christian County Schools, Paducah Independent Schools and Henderson County Schools. The U. S. Department of Education will dole out $400 million to districts for local-level improvements. Depending on size, winning districts may receive anywhere from $5 million to $40 million each.
The DOE wants recipients to use the money to personalize student learning. Nearly 900 districts across the nation have filed their intent to apply, but being on the list doesn’t mean the districts have to submit an application. The deadline for applications is October 30. The federal government will announce grant winners in December.