Most Active Stories
- WKMS Battle of the Bands Semi-Finals. Listen, Vote!
- Eastern Oregon University President Bob Davies is One of Two Presidential Finalists
- MSU Board Names Two Presidents Today Including Bob Davies
- Northern State University President James Smith is Second MSU Presidential Finalist
- Weather Related Closings for Wednesday, March 5
Mon February 3, 2014
152 Years Later: Fort Henry's Construction, Battle and Legacy
The Battle of Fort Henry was fought on February 6, 1862, in western Tennessee and was the first important victory for the Union led by Ulysses S. Grant, in the Western Theater during the Civil War. Dover historian Susan "Ski" Witzofsky previews her February 8th program for the 152nd Anniversary of Fort Henry's construction, battle and legacy.
Witzofsky explains the setup of Fort Henry, where the fort was located, and how the Battle of Fort Henry played out. Currently, Fort Henry is underwater and no longer recognizable, but is annually remembered at Land Between the Lakes in a special program.