Most Active Stories
- Murray Couple Receives City's First Same-Sex Marriage License
- Paducah Homebrewer Awakes from Coma Only to Worry About His Beer
- 'Pocket Park' for Local Art Coming to Paducah's Downtown
- It's a Podcycle: Canadian Motorcycle Hall of Famer Phillip Funnell Visits Murray
- Beshear: State Agencies Should Prepare for Gay Marriage Ruling
Mon July 8, 2013
10-Digit Dialing Can Begin Next Month In 270 Area-Code
Phone customers in the 270 area code may use seven or 10-digit dialing starting in August as the region prepares to roll out an additional area code.
The option to use seven or 10 digits runs from Aug. 3 through Jan. 31, 2014, after which customers will be required to dial 10 digits when placing local calls. To dial long distance, callers must add a 1.
The Elizabethtown News-Enterprise reports even though use of 10 digits will be required, no additional fees are applied. A local call will remain local.
In December, the Kentucky Public Services Commission ordered an area code overlay for the 270 code region, which covers western Kentucky.
Beginning March 3, customers in the region who request new service may be assigned a 364 area code.